Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Stress

Stress is an odd phenomena. The mind is a truly fascinating thing in this regard. Your thoughts and general lifestyle can effect physical well-being. I recently experienced this phenomenon the hard way, and the only thing I could think was why did it take so long? Law school is the epitome of stress but I survived until my last final until it manifested upon my physical health. Everybody has a breaking point, so I guess now I know mine. Funny thing is that i did not feel that stressed. Maybe that is the point, though. When nothing is seemingly wrong then the unthinkable seems to happen. So what is the lesson here? Honestly there is not a whole lot we can do about it. Take care of yourself and maintain a positive outlook are the only tings I can think of. Those general propositions make little sense outside of what our parents have been telling us since we were young and are more like a mantra then an actual suggestion. So, back to the stress. It is a killer which many people never see coming. Common sense counsels that we should avoid it whenever possible but all roads lead us to pile it on. All things in life come with their challenges while personal constitution is as much a factor as anything else. Therein lies the real issue because as we realize how stress affects us that awareness can magnify the stress into the more serious: anxiety. Anxiety is a clinical mental disorder which can be disabling. Stress can create anxiety and the worries of one turning into the other creates the same. A vicious circle of problem that seems silly. I worry everyday, and feel like I am on constantly teetering over the precipice of losing control. That does worry me, but the stress will and has to continue for life to go on. The battle of life continues and I have to soldier on.

No comments:

Post a Comment